[tlug] Provider Info

Out here where "inaka" stops being "ii" we've just been informed that hikari is on the way. We'd already decided that our present provider, Softbank BB would not be among the contenders.

So far, the best offer we've received is from NTT with Biglobe as the provider (although we'll keep the e-mail accounts we first set up with Roger Boisvert back in about 1992).

They are also the only ones who offered to run new hikari fiber all the way from pole to the modem ... for which one of the contenders quoted 6 man-en for metal wire from the junction box and the rest came in at 1~3 man-en. The current wiring is terrible on a good day and gets worse when it rains or freezes.

Before I sign anything, does anyone have anything negative to say about Biglobe service? Right now, I have no line speed or download limits, and we DO a lot of file exchanges on the family LAN so that is a major point for us (as well as one major reason GOL only has our e-mail accounts, now). I know about AsahiNet but their pricing is not really competitive, nor are they fighting for contracts out here (although, to be fair, I just did their online estimate page and have not spoken to their sales people).

--
CL