Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 01:19, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/12 01:06 , Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
>> I currently use Toshiba Dynabook R731/W2UB, but the current model is R731/39EB
>> http://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/120123r731/index_j.htm?utm_source=dynabook_top&utm_medium=left_navi&utm_campaign=r731
>>
> Interesting that you're running a Toshiba. I've had such bad experiences
> with Toshiba laptops (not just on Linux, but in general, although they
> were especially bad when Linux was involved) that I literally wouldn't
> take one for free. A shame, really. I love Toshiba's AV gear, but their
> computers, not so much.

+1 for the Toshiba R731.

I'm now on my fifth Toshiba laptop (all from the dynabook series). All
five are still in use, as I have given the older ones away to friends
and family. In ten years and 5 Toshiba I have had one hard disk die,
one finger print reader that does not work with Linux and the LCD
brightness on my current one cannot be adjusted[1] after waking up
from sleep. Other than those three "issues" I have had no other
compatibility or hardware problems.

I should also note that at home these machines accounted for around
95% of my time on a computer so they were/are heavily used :)

Besides the Toshibas I also have a Dell XPS M1710. It too is still
working and is around 5 years old.

Regards, Keith

[1] Remains stuck on what ever level was in play before sleeping.
Looks like a change in the kernel has introduced this behaviour, as it
was not there in previous versions.