Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

Le 13/04/2012 07:22, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> (not having a working fsck yet is one of the biggest). IMHO it will
> take another 4-6 years until btrfs becomes stable enough for general
> use.

Not mentioning some really disturbing things like not storing the
compression options in volume's metadata, or the inability (by design)
of using volumes as block devices.

> Yes, that would help. But, to be honest, how many people would use that?
> How many people even know that such features exists?

More like a chicken and egg problem.

>> (*) Although it isn't efficient as zfs. (zfs snapshot, zfs send, and its
>> zero stat())
>
> Hmm? Why is zfs more efficient? I thought both use more or less the same
> system for snapshotting?

btrfs can directly 'send' volumes or snapshot data (like a e2fsdump),
where btrfs will require you to mount it.

Restoring, cloning, creating a volume or merging from incremental
snapshots is piece of cake.

Francois