Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

On 04/11/2012 06:16 AM, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> As I prepare to upgrade my Envy 15 from Win 7 to Linux, what your
> thoughts around partitioning? Should I hold my nose and make a / big
> enough to contain /usr, or should I Do Things The Way I've Always Done
> Them, which is this partitioning scheme:
>
> /
> /boot
> swap
> /tmp
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /opt
> /srv
> /var
> /var/spool (if it's a system that will be running an SMTP daemon; in
> this case, not)
> /home

My standard approach is to put everything on software raid then add
dmcrypt then lvm for things that need it.  I also add partitions as
needed rather then at the start.  I am very interested in moving to
btrfs but they still don't have offline recovery.

/boot        - raid1
/            - raid1 -> dmcrypt -> lvm
/usr/portage - raid0 -> lvm
/home        - raid1 -> dmcrypt -> lvm