Re: [tlug] Am I the last to know?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/5 Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com>:
>> Yes, true.  Maybe the alternative that we can hope for is for the
>> Gnome developers to accept Unity as the direction for Gnome and throw
>> their weight and effort into it.  I guess Ubuntu won't like that,
>> though...  :-)  Neither will the Unity-haters...
>
> To be fair, you still have the freedom of choice on Ubuntu. I use
> Openbox on top of GNOME, for example (I have to admit, I've gotten
> used to the GNOME niceties like auto-mount with actions--like
> launching Clementine and Shotwell when I connect in my iPhone or
> opening a file browser when I connect my huge USB stick), and it works
> quite nicely. I don't have to moan about Unity at all. :)

That's true.  I guess they can collect statistics on the popularity of
packages and drop GNOME when the time comes...

Incidentally, a few days ago, I upgraded a set of machines to Ubuntu
12.04 beta2.  There are still minor bugs, but after a successful
install once, it seemed worth it.  One minor annoyance was with the
workspace.  Seems I had some combination of packages that caused some
kind of conflict between my window manager, Gnome's workspaces and (I
guess) Unity's workspaces.  After reading this thread, I thought I
give Unity a try and sure enough...no problems.

Perhaps this would have been fixed by release day or with some effort
and Googling, I could have figured out which package(s) to remove.
But, either seemed to be harder than switching to Unity...  I feel
like I've caved, some how.  :-)

Well, at least I had a choice -- that's true!

Ray