Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Apr 1, 2012, at 22:36, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

I think there's something else going on here, Steve. The switchy-switchy stuff seems to not allow both GPUs to operate at once, so X can't use them both to drive heads.

If my understanding of the problem is correct, it's only what you describe, but also that X cannot switch between GPUs that don't have a hardware MUX without restarting X. The nVidia Opimus system is such a beast and, at least as implemented on Dell gear, purportedly does not have a knob in the BIOS to turn off one or the other - and the HDMI port is physically connected to the nVidia chip. AFAICT, only the DisplayPort currently works on the XPS 15. The good folks at the Bumblebee project are working hard to improve things.

The HP Envy 15, with its ATI + Intel GPUs purportedly is less troublesome. I'll find out for myself in about 2 weeks.

It's not clear to me if you can switch a GPU off in BIOS on the HP or not. Haven't seen anything that says it does or doesn't have a hardware MUX. Won't be surprised if it's software; cheaper that way and works on Win 7 :p

Even if switching is rocky, dual-head is supposed to work on the HP  but is currently known  not to work on the Dell.

I'll post a review of my experience after I get my hands on the  beastie.

Jonathan