Re: [tlug] AV Preferences for Android (CONCLUSION)

On Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:08 AM, CL wrote:
As it turns out McAfee is part of a package that contained other stuff
my wife wanted and which would have added about JPY1,100 to the monthly
bill if contracted separately.  The Head Drone (who was at lunch during
the first encounter) helpfully suggested that, if she didn't want the
McAfee component, she could just not activate it and keep the stuff she
wanted at the lower price.  He actually agreed that Avast! was superior
to McAfee and confessed to using it himself on his own Android phone.

Draw your own conclusions.

Besides the obvious reason (Softbank probably gets a cut from McAfee), another reason might be that Softbank's staff don't really want to deal with users asking them about what a downloaded app did to their phone.

Most customers don't know what viruses are [1]. They can either (1) encourage people to buy a virus scanner or (2) hire more staff with enough technical expertise to handle virus-like problems. (1) seems more cost effective... And if you didn't buy it and you had a problem, rather than help you, they can just say, "Oh, we told you to buy it..."

Ray

[1] Many, many years ago in the early Internet days, I recall someone told me he thought computer viruses physically jumped from disc to disc... I think a lot of people still think that...