Re: [tlug] Application Menus in Unity (was AVI->MP4, How? (YouTube Problem))

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM, <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:06:52 +0900, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to do this on Ubuntu (latest version is... 11.04?) and
> applications don't appear to have menus any longer.

Move your mouse to the top of the screen towards the left to
see the menus. It's an Applish thing.

Finally found that.  That is really weird.  The menus are not available within the application itself, but only through that mouse-over at the extreme upper left corner of the screen.  It's obvious that they're designing Unity for a small touch screen tablet computer and not for a standard desktop machine with a proper keyboard and mouse.  It's a horrible design for a desktop machine, but makes sense if you're using your finger to navigate and the screen is small.  A touch screen having a single place to go for menus makes sense.  Unfortunately, I'm not using a tablet with a micro-screen, so the current design direction of Ubuntu is a regressive one.

It would be nice if there were an option to select what type of device is being used.  Something like "1) Smartphone, 2) Tablet, 3) Laptop, 4) Desktop", and there were correspondingly designed desktops....

Lyle