Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> The Dell XPS 14z looks like a nice machine, but there seem to be real
> issues on machines that have integrated + discrete graphics, especially
> when the integrated is HD3000. Seems not terribly well supported at present.

My current laptop is now a Dell XPS 17.  Despite my positive
experiences with Toshiba, I left Japan and needed a laptop with better
international support.

I did get Linux working on it, but I don't use many things like the
webcam.  I had many incompatibilities with Debian and things improved
when I switched over to Ubuntu.  One lingering problem is the Intel +
NVidia graphics card, which I whined about on TLUG a few months back.
I still can't get the NVidia card working and gave up.  Windows has
software that switches between the two; it still does not exist
(AFAIK) for Linux.  Such a waste of the NVidia card...

Otherwise, I'm happy with it -- I could even order a new cable so that
I don't need to carry around an adapter any more.

But yes, beware of the integrated video card on laptops + Linux...

Ray