Re: [tlug] Gazing up and to the left

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:35:11PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 06:21 PM, Nicolas Limare wrote:
>

> >> I followed the Sensei's recommendation, and finding something about
> >> --geometry, was able to succeed in starting some (but not all) X
> >> apps up in other places than the upper left corner on a case-by-case
> >> basis. But the Sensei can't help me any further than this. And while
> >> there were examples on the web, nothing that goes beyond the man
> >> page.
> >
> > I think you can not find more help there because the position of the
> > windows is not decided by X but by your Windows Manager. With GNOME,
> > you probably use the Metacity Windows Manager. With GNOME 3, it's
> > Mutter.
>
> OK, I'm using Kubuntu at the moment, so I suppose I need to look in
> that direction...

I think the default window manager for KDE is Kwin. But you can also
use other window managers instead if you prefer the way they manage
the windows. You can even use esoteric ones like xmonad in your KDE
environment: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_KDE

And there also are some Window placement options in Compiz (the
standard composite window manager), accessible with CompizConfig
Settings Manager. That's what I use and I get decent window placement,
the four terminals open at the beginning of every working session and
most of the apps reopen where their last instance was closed. But I do
not know much about a KDE context.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F