Re: [tlug] Browser/Font Question

On 10 January 2012 12:05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Jim Breen writes:
>
>  > Chinese. There are no kana in Big5.
>
> Are you sure?

Yep. I even checked the Big5 appendix (p773-) in Ken Lunde's 1999 CJKV book.
(He left out the tables in the revised edition.) They started the
hanzi at A4, which is
where the kana are in JIS208.

> ..... Maybe I was thinking of GB, because I know that my
> Chinese students often use some Chinese charset in their email
> (written in Japanese).

Prolly.

>  > BTW, now that I have deleted those ttf-wqy* fonts, several of my regular
>  > WWW pages have changed quite radically. The biggest change was the
>  > Kenkyusha online dictionary, which I use a lot. It went back to a rather
>  > clear gothic font which (for me) vanished two distros ago. Interesting.
>
> Aren't you glad that X.org, KDE, and GNOME decided that you (FVO "you"
> that include over 7 billion humans) are an IT idiot who can't handle
> things like font selection for yourself? :-(

It has me dancing in the street.

Actually wouldn't mind if fonts such as the  ttf-wqy* didn't claim to be equally
Japanese as Chinese.

What actually started me on this thread was the (far worse) problem with
Android phones, where apart from the ones cooked for the Japanese market
they only have Chinese-flavoured fonts installed. To get around it you have
to either root the phone and change the default font, or have the app
builders use a selected font, which is a pain. The fault is not really Google's;
it's the HTC/Samsung/etc. brigade who license in Android and want to cut
down the RAM taken up. It's even worse for the Indians. Almost all Androids
have the smarts needed for rendering Indic fonts turned off.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University