Re: [tlug] Linux with CUDA experiences? --> "Buyer beware"

On 11/27/2011 11:39 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:

After some googling, it turns out that some computers, such
as my Dell, has both an Intel graphics card and an NVidia
one and the OS is suppose to auto-magically switch between
the two.  At this moment, Linux does not support this well.

Errr ... I am at a loss to picture what you're describing.

Are you saying that the mobo has both an Intel and an Nvidia graphics chip?

Two PCI graphics cards? (in which case why not take a screwdriver to the problem and remove one of the two cards?)

Or, are you describing Intel chip on the mobo and an Nvidia PCI card?

If the latter, I have three running examples of the setup (two are Gigabyte motherboards) and am not having such problems. As long as the Nvidia software is loaded and running, is the latest software version, and you have run Nvidia's cleaner to remove any earlier copies you should not be seeing that issue.

The two Gigabyte mobos are both supposed to switch automatically but I hard set video to the PCI card during setup. Does your BIOS offer a three-way switch option (motherboard / PCI card / Auto)? Can you switch it?

--
CL