Re: [tlug] Linux with CUDA experiences? --> "Buyer beware"

Hi Josh and TLUG,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I finally got a chance this weekend to replace Debian with Ubuntu in order to try to get NVidia working on my computer...

Things are much better, but NVidia still does not work...

After some googling, it turns out that some computers, such as my Dell, has both an Intel graphics card and an NVidia one and the OS is suppose to auto-magically switch between the two. At this moment, Linux does not support this well.

So, if you're thinking of buying a computer with NVidia, you might want to do what I did not do :-( which is to see the progress so far before buying.

See the last message on this page, and the messages posted since on the next page:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860360&page=2

Hope this helps someone on this list who is thinking of getting a new machine...

Ray