Re: [tlug] Recovery (for Small Values of Recover)

On 11/15/2011 06:40 AM, Mattia Dongili wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:22:23AM +0900, CL wrote:
On 11/14/2011 09:28 AM, Darren Cook wrote:
It says to add these to ~/.bashrc:
    export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
    export XMODIFIERS=@example.com
    export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
This is the step I didn't do previously.  I added these three comments
at the beginning of the file (using Kate as root) and saved.  However,
there is no Language tab in Kubuntu 11.10 and, after making the change,
selecting a system language did not result in anything being saved and
the input method tab was greyed out.

for the record, there is a im-switch package/utility that does that in
Debian (and I would guess Ubuntu also has it). im-switch let you select
the input method to use with your locale and drops a link in ~/.xinput.d
that finally gets sourced by Xorg start up scripts.

$ ls -l ~/.xinput.d
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mattia mattia 37 Jun 21  2009 en_GB ->  /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mattia mattia 37 Jun 21  2009 en_US ->  /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mattia mattia 37 Jun 21  2009 ja_JP ->  /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule

$ echo $LANG
en_GB.UTF-8

Thanks, Mattia.

im-switch is indeed available and it is installed automatically. However, something in the latest KDE version is stopping it from working properly if you do a clean install directly from a Live CD. The downgrade -> re-upgrade I performed got me a working copy. I am not Debian-savvy enough to know why that is so. There may be some lines of code that were stripped from the latest version that are not cut from the previous version during an upgrade.

--
CL