Re: [tlug] SOLVED: Recovery (for Small Values of Recover)

On 11/14/2011 09:28 AM, Darren Cook wrote:
IME Apparently 'ibus' is installed by default.

It's working ... but 11.10 seems to be buggier than I had originally believed and it took a clean install to convince me.

I started reading the online discussions Darren pointed me to, and thinking about what was being reported, and came up with my own very inelegant fix ... I stripped the new HDD and downgraded to 11.04 with a clean install from a live CD. I then set up iBus and my sound configuration (which was the other Major Broken Thing) and then upgraded to 11.10. Not fast or pretty, but effective.

While reading the complaints and attempted fixes on the Ubuntu and Kubuntu forums, I began to notice a reported pattern that I was not seeing on my own machine -- "translation" "input files" and "extra fonts" choices (with checkboxes) were greyed out on my screens while selecting languages in 11.10. Others were reporting that these were black and clickable. When I went back to 11.04, I could, indeed, select these options. I still had to add the three "export" lines to .bashrc but I then had Anthy and a couple of Chinese options presented.

After configuring, I upgraded and am now where I wanted to be at 0800 this morning ... a mere 12 hours later. Now I get to finish the paying work I intended to do this morning. And, I have a very good excuse to get the replacement parts screwed into my injured laptop so I have a backup machine again.

--
CL