Re: [tlug] Dead HDD

Hi CL,

Very interesting story indeed!

I have some data recovery experience as part of my personal troubles
and as part of my digital forensic practice.

For a case like yours, you are probably looking into fried controller
board and if the pee was the problem, then if you are luck the power
circuitry got burned first and the IC/flash is not damaged (and disk
assebmly/data is safe).

That said, there is no way to "spin the disks" by replacing the board
with the same for various reasons. To have a good attempt, you have to
find an exact (to the batch) match and that is difficult.
Then, part of the firmware settings (e.g. defects, physical oddities)
are stored on that board in flash, so you'll loose this when you
switch boards; bigger part is stored on service tracks on the disk.
Most modern controllers actually will refuse to operate when they
detect mismatch between the flash-stored  and disk-stored firmware.
In order to fix that, you'll need specialized hardware (usually
PC-3000) and similar controller board to the original. You'll swap the
boards, run in service mode, perform checks, spin the platters, read
firmware from disk, reflash the controller (eventually you'll have to
read the data off the dead board's flash and use it), then clone the
disk to a new one (since it is not reliable anymore).

That takes specialized hardware, tools, software, trained people and
their time as well as well a good stock of controller boards to play
with.

I can ask for a quote from the best data recovery company in Japan,
IMHO, also the distributor for PC-3000, but prices are more or less
what you know. And if the data is not worth 15-25 man, then why
bother? Also "NEED the data that is on there ASAP" usually costs twice
as more, how S is your ASAP? Turnaround time is a week usually.

Ping me off list, if you want me to try to help.
Kalin.