Re: [tlug] Linux on an old Powerbook (g4)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:18:47 +0900
brandelune@example.com wrote:

> I thinking about Debian with the smallest window manager, and I'll need
> Java, and ways to type French directly from the jis keyboard (ie I don't
> want to have to blind touch on a French layout).

Java is not a problem. But i dont know how to type french with a jis layout.
I usually have the inverse problem (typing japanese with a non-jis kbd)
But i think there should be possibilities using scim, uim,....

> My understanding is that the "Sun" compatible Java for PPC used to be
> distributed by IBM and is not in the Debian packages. I was stuck there
> when I tried to do the same thing 2 years ago on a lower spec'ed machine
> (Shell iBook G3).

Uh... there are only x86* binaries afaik. You could try though, how
far the gnu java stuff is.

> I don't think there are easy ways to run MS Office or similar Windows only
> software on a PPC machine (those are needed for validation purposes, I don't
> really need them to work very fast).

Try virtualbox. If you have enough RAM (unlikely with a 12y old laptop),
then it will run with abysimal speed, but it will run. If you dont have
enough RAM, you will be waiting forever ^^'

> I'll be starting all that sometimes next week. If you have suggestions do not hesitate.

Is there a reason why you use a 12y old Laptop and don't get any cheap
laptop with a more or less current CPU? It would save you a lot of time
and hassle.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin