[tlug] Linux on an old Powerbook (g4)

I'll be trying to make myself a Linux work machine out of a 12 years old PowerBook G4 (Titanium).

I thinking about Debian with the smallest window manager, and I'll need Java, and ways to type French directly from the jis keyboard (ie I don't want to have to blind touch on a French layout).

My understanding is that the "Sun" compatible Java for PPC used to be distributed by IBM and is not in the Debian packages. I was stuck there when I tried to do the same thing 2 years ago on a lower spec'ed machine (Shell iBook G3).

I don't think there are easy ways to run MS Office or similar Windows only software on a PPC machine (those are needed for validation purposes, I don't really need them to work very fast).

I'll be starting all that sometimes next week. If you have suggestions do not hesitate.

Jean-Christophe Helary