Re: [tlug] french input (was Unity and stuff...)

On Oct 25, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Darren Cook wrote:

>> I use the Alt key to input accents that are then combined to the letter I input next.
>
> Is that the same as described here?
>  http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents_11.htm

It is similar.

> I assigned left windows key as my compose key.
> Then to type à I hold down the windows key and press a, then still
> holding it down press ` (i.e. shift+@, i.e. three keys at once).

On OSX I'd do:

Alt+_ a for à
Alt+_ e for è
Alt+e e for é

etc.

The Alt+key seems to work regardless of the (alphabetical) keyboard layout. I have not investigated much so I can't tell more. My guess is that I can access all the MacRoman extra characters directly from the keyboard.

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune