Re: [tlug] french input (was Unity and stuff...)

> I use the Alt key to input accents that are then combined to the letter I input next.

Is that the same as described here?
  http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents_11.htm

I assigned left windows key as my compose key.
Then to type à I hold down the windows key and press a, then still
holding it down press ` (i.e. shift+@, i.e. three keys at once).

á is the same, but using ' (shift+7).

To get ö it was windows+o then windows+shift+2 (i.e. windows+")

Enough trial and error: all the combinations are here:
http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html

Personally I'd have thought it could be a bit more intelligent, and not
require me to press shift (being as compose+2 and compose+@ do nothing)
but is this the established standard? Is the above how you input French
on a Japanese Mac?

Darren

P.S. Finally I can type a £ sign!! Or even a German ß. And it was 26°C
today. All these years wasted doing copy and paste, or typing in unicode
hex codes :-)
Why did no-one tell me about this Compose Key before?!