Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On 19 October 2011 14:59, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Nigel Barker writes:

>  > How can you call this good design?
>
> Because it works *very* well if taken on its own terms, and it makes
> *no* concessions to people like you who want it to be something else.

I don't want it to be anything. I have no interest in closed software
on closed hardware. I'm disappointed people are praising it on a LUG
mailing list. We need to aim higher.

> There's nothing wrong with what you want, nothing at all.  But it
> would be a mortal design sin for the Mac to give it to you.  Good
> design knows its limits, and no design can be all things to all men.

I don't see why it seems to be accepted that Apple makes good designs.
Good hype is what they make.

Unity, Gnome and KDE need to buck up and make something that favours
function over form. After all, that's why we use Linux - because it
works better, right?

nigel