Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Oct 18, 2011, at 7:06, Nigel Barker <tech@example.com> wrote:

> apps from their categories? There is just that panel at the bottom
> that fills up semi-randomly. How can you call this good design?

Randomly? There's nothing in my dock that I didn't put there.   It contains the currently running apps plus ones that have a shortcut there, and a few defaults like Finder and Trash.

How is it good design? All of my regularly used apps are in the dock and I can start them much faster than if I had to use a menu system. For others, they are in Applications in Finder. Call that a flat menu; it's as fast or faster than a nested one.

It took a little getting used to, sure, but it works so well that I now run AWN as a dock on all my Linux workstations. And I moved the window buttons to the other side and put them in Mac order ;)

WRT Gnome 2, I mostly like it and currently use it. KDE 4 has become usable. IMO it has met or exceeded 3.5. Gnome 3 sucks.

Jonathan