Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Oct 18, 2011, at 22:59, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Because it works *very* well if taken on its own terms, and it makes
> *no* concessions to people like you who want it to be something else.

Indeed it does. For years, the only non-Linux machine in my house was my wife's T-30. Then came my company-issued
MacBook Pro in 2007. It was my first Mac. I looked upon it and saw that the UI took some getting used to, but it had a proper shell, and it was good.

Then the T-30 died, and  I replaced it with a MacBook Pro. My wife looked upon it and learned to use it and she said that it was good.

Then came an iPhone 3G. This summer, my  brother-in-law in Viet Nam looked upon it and saw that it was good, so I gave it unto him and ordered an iPhone 4, and another for my wife.

Then my kids needed laptops, and 2 more MBPs were delivered unto us, and Lo! Apple had become the majority platform in my house, with Linux on only 2 PCs and 1 embedded device.

I love Linux, and if I could choose  but one, Linux would be it. However, Apple gets a lot of things really right.

Jonathan
--
Painstakingly thumb-typed on my iPhone :)