Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On 10/19/2011 02:11 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
brandelune@example.com writes:

but AFAIK you can't email to
phone numbers, and you definitely won't get a reply if you could (both
facts are stupid, come to think of it :-( ).

Ummm, no. The problem with being keyboard-centric is that messaging on a phone is pure hell. It takes me far too long to reply to even a short message in J-go -- or even E-go -- to my wife's phone so, occasionally, I'll just send her a message from my keyboard. She has both my phone mail and regular e-mail addresses in her address book and replies as appropriate.

CAVEAT: We have Softbank phones and BB ISP services, so this may be a "special case."

> Nevertheless, we're
still able to keep her PC time>  keitai time (requires threats and
occasionally brute force, I admit) because of YouTube, iTunes, and
some friends' blogs.

Please tell me how you do that. Ours is still at the Yahoo Kids, JumpStart, and Selena Gomez YouTube movies stage,. but it is already getting difficult to make her shut them off.

After this, I'll have some questions about stopping kittens from knocking over 2TB USB HDDs and sleeping on them because they're warm ...

However, the computer will not be thought of as a computer or even a
networked device, but rather interactive-TV-with-a-keyboard.

It isn't already? When did that happen? (Writes the correspondent who uses a 32-gata flat screen TV as a one of his monitors.)

--
CL