Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

Jean-Christophe,

Wow... dude... way, way off track. I don't care about Steve Jobs and
Xerox and iPads and all that stuff. My point is just that whether it's
a CRT monitor and a mouse or an LCD that fits in your hand with a
touch screen, you're looking at a flat 2D graphic and pointing at
things to make them happen. The evolution on that front has been
minimal in my opinion. You may be wowed by the differences, that's
your call. We can agree to disagree.

My main point was really only that the drop down menu interface, ala
Xerox, is *fine* for the pointer/2D screen model. I'm not saying it's
great, I'm saying it matches the technology it was designed for. And
all these interfaces that are supposed to be more "modern" are only
that: modern. Not "better".

Raedwolf,

As Linus said in a G+ post:

"I want my sane interfaces back. I have yet to meet anybody who likes
the unholy mess that is gnome-3."

He also says, "I'm using Xfce. I think it's a step down from gnome2,
but it's a huge step up from gnome3. Really."

Add Unity to that assessment, and I'm in total agreement.

I'm actually using "Gnome Classic" right now, which seems to be
basically Gnome 2.2. My initial assessment was that it was basically
broken, but after some tweaks, it's coming along. If I can get Compiz
to work (which it is supposed to, but isn't for me for some reason),
then I would consider it a reasonable compromise. My only fear is for
it's future support.

If it doesn't pan out, then I will try Xcfe for a bit, and if I'm not
liking that, then maybe Mint. As was mentioned here earlier, there are
rumblings that Mint might go toward a Gnome 2 fork of some kind.

--
Dave M G