Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

Martin has expressed my sentiments on this quite well. I basically
had the same experience, wiped it off my disk and re-installed
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid).

Martin G <ebisumartin@example.com> wrote:
> This is part of my problem with the whole shift taking place in Gnome3
> and Unity. I feel that Gnome 2 *evolved* over at least a decade or so.
> As soon as some "designers" get it into their head they know what is
> the "best" design for everyone, they impose their will and you get a
> steaming pile like Unity. And another steaming pile like Gnome3

My sentiments exactly.

> Some people talk about the old Gnome as if it were some kind of
> holdback to decades old standards, but lets face it, the technology
> hasn't changed. We still use a mouse and keyboard to interact with a
> flat 2D interface. The whole drop down menu thing fits that model,

Spot on.

And the "new" teeny-bop OS stuff on iPads/iPhones/whatnot is really
not the future. Not for real computing. It is fine for teeny-bop "social
networking" apps that run on "monitors" the size of your hand, but
try that nonsense when you're working with real programs on a couple
of monitors both of which are bigger than my old TV was. You'd have
to create new Wing Chun katas and incorporate them into your
computing. All that flailing about would get old fast. And I've never
seen a keyboard replacement that really works with an app that
actually requires the kind of input that a keyboard does best.

> Until then... just gimme my Gnome 2.2!

Me, too! I'm just hoping that when the Ubuntu support dries up and
new hardware is not supported we can find something that will be
reasonably akin to the way we are used to GTD (getting things done).

GTD. That's what it's all about.

I'll be sorry to leave Ubuntu, but there is NWinH that I'll go that
Unity/Gnome3 route.

> I have looked around the net, and the hatred for Unity and
> Gnome3-shell is pretty significant.

It certainly strikes me as being way stronger than the normal
resistance to getting used to a new way of doing things.

--Ralph