Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

There's the mate desktop environment. That's a fork a gnome 2. It's
still very young and only maintained by a single developer so I'm not
sure how much faith we can place in it. Mint does seem to be considering
it though. You can find it here on the Arch wiki.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE

The author recently made a thread on the Ubuntu forums too but last time
I checked, he was just telling people to compile from source. He
explicitely stated that he's too lazy to put up a repository. For Arch
he does have packages on AUR.

Since you're obviously an Ubuntu user though, I recommend you switch to
Mint. That's pretty much Ubuntu with several (imho very neat) additions
and they're sticking to gnome 2. Personally I've switched to a minimal
KDE while keeping most of the gnome applications.

Hope that helps.