Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

Jonathan Byrne writes:

 > What I've learned is to stay away from any non-LTS Ubuntu release.

What I've learned is not to fix what don't need breaking anyhow.  I
still have Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" running on an iBook (admittedly, that
will retire by December because I'm moving all my lecture materials to
a new MacBook Pro/Snow Leopard with a remote control, freeing me from
the mouse).  I expect to upgrade to Lion sometime after Snow Leopard's
EOL. :-)

My Linux boxes are not mission-critical, so they run Debian sid ("only
20 months behind") and Gentoo. :-)

 > They claim to be looking at Apple as the gold standard these days
 > (sure beats aping MSFT, at least), but they seem to be missing a
 > key point if that is their goal: at Apple, user experience and
 > beautiful design rule the roost.

"Missing the point" is unfair, I suspect.  Merely, even Canonical
doesn't have enough money to ape Apple, that's all.  Good design costs
money, ask any Gucci-toting ko-gyaru.

Also, developing good design sense takes decades.