Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On 10/17/2011, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:

>However, if you're gnome-oriented, I don't know how much longer you'll
>be able to avoid Gnome3.  You can use Debian stable (as far as I know),
>Mint, or possibly one of the RHEL clones, such as CentOS, but Gnome 3 is
>fast becoming the default.

I am, but that's negotiable. I used KDE for a long time, and eventually
KDE 4 got good enough that I no longer hated it, but I eventually
switched (back) to Gnome anyway because it worked much better than KDE
with AWN, and because for the longest time KDE 4's monitor config tool
just could not correctly configure dual monitors, which forced me to
either run with an xf86config file for the first time in years or use
the proprietary driver, neither of which was all that attractive. Gnome
had no problem with the same monitors and the same Free driver, it was
just a KDE problem. The high quality of the artwork in Gnome on Ubuntu
was also a factor.

I recently tried out the Elive CD and it's actually pretty impressive.
When I tried to install it to give it a further evaluation, the
installer said you have to pay a fee to do that, to further support the
project. That really rubbed me the wrong way, so that's as far as I
went.

I also plan to give Pinguy a whirl.

I've also tried out a number of distros on a spare MacBook Pro that I
have at work (built in late 2006, issued to me in January, 2007), but
they all seem to run fans it a high or max speed all the time. No fix
that I've discovered by googling helped at all. Since OS X on the same
machine doesn't do this, I know for sure it's just a Linux thing. If
you've messed with Linux on Mac much, have you run across this/solved
it/know a distro that solves it out of the box?

Thanks,

Jonathan