Re: [tlug] Computer won't boot after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 [SOLVED]

Darren, Raymond,

Thanks for replying, and offering suggestions.

I fought with the computer and for a long time, and in the end, it
came down to two essential issues:

1. I could actually force a command prompt after boot, but I had to
hit [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F1]  within a narrow second or two window that
existed after GRUB and before the Ubuntu logo came up. If I missed it,
and I often did, then the computer became unresponsive and I had to
reboot.

2. The problem was with NVIDIA. First, I had to delete
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. As far as I know, xorg.conf hasn't been in use
since something like 9.04, so I don't know where this new one came
from.  Then I had to completely dump all the installed drivers and
reinstall them. The key, apparently, is to only have the
nvidia-current drivers, and no others, as they cause trouble.

Anyway, I've got my computer working...

But now I've got to choose between Unity and Gnome3, both of which
kind of suck, IMHO. Not enough to make me change entirely to KDE, or
Xfce or whatever, just enough to annoy me and make me resent the
changes.

Anyway, thanks for the support and suggestions.

--
Dave M G