Re: [tlug] Bitsa Woes: Exponential Thermal Aging

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:50:04 +0900, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> I yanked the GPU cooling fan's
> large, friendly power plug out of its socket and I can actually almost
> not hear the box at all, even when sitting next to it instead of across
> the room.  The Nvidia controller software was reporting core temps of
> the 550Ti chip at 31~33C with the fan on or, and I hope this isn't too
> technical, three green bars on the ten bar temperature graphic).  With
> the fan unplugged, it is reporting 50~53C (three green bars + one yellow
> bar) when the machine is just cruising and torrenting.  After playing a
> 1.5 hour .iso off the HDD using VLC, it was reporting temps of 60~62C
> (three green bars + two yellow bars) when we used the DVI connection and
> 63~65C when using HDMI.

<wince and squirm>

> So, the question for all of the experts is:  Am I engaging in behavior
> that is injuring, damaging, or shortening the useful life of the chip +
> card if I continue to keep the GPU fan unplugged?

Yes.

> ... I am not sure what constitutes too much heat ...

At least some components on your board age _exponentially_
with temperature.
The cooler it is, the longer it lasts.
The hotter it is, the quicker it dies.

Various components have hard maximum temperatures. Below that,
there is no bright "red line", but exponents with exponential
aging curves are fun. Choose your poison. Of course it is
difficult to make a good choice without data of the
temperature/aging curve[1]. Search the web for such data for
various components on your board.

Personally, I am comfortable with my electronics in the 30°Cs,
become uncomfortable somewhere in the 40°Cs,
and do not accept temperatures in the 50°Cs.

There are quieter ways of cooling your board.
How much money and time are you willing to spend?
How tolerant are you of ugly but functional improvisations?

[1] Figures 7 and 9 are fun:
    http://jianghai-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/JIANGHAI_Elcap_Lifetime_-_Estimation_AAL.pdf

    Figure 7 is fun:
    http://www.emersonnetworkpower-partner.com/ArticleDocuments/Capacitors Age and Capacitors Have an end of Life.pdf.aspx