Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board: USB Power Limits (Especially on Laptops)

Hi,

> So I am thinking it is now time to come up with good strategies (that won't take hours) to
> physically wipe the hard disk before recycling it.
> I guess sandpapering the platters might be good enough?

I think there was a thread a few months ago on physical destruction.

If you have a drill press, drilling some (10-15) holes through the
platters is the fastest. To top it off, you can hammer a few nails
through it (to further bed the platters).

Otherwise Bic Camera/ Yodobashi offer physical data destruction by
automated hammer machine, I think it was like 2000 yen/drive?

> Or does Tokyo Hackerspace offer a disk destruction service?

Not really, but you can bring it and have a bunch of folks give it a try ;-)
Who knows, somebody might come with a novel strategy.

Kalin.