Re: [tlug] Choosing an internet provider

I'm currently working on updating my ISP Japan FAQ,
and one of the things that is, or is going to be,
important in these days of insecure WiFi access
is secure mail access (POP/SMTP over SSL).  It
seems that Asahi Net, NEC BigLobe and BigLobe
offer this -- though whether people are aware
of this and using it may be a different matter.
But it seems that GOL doesn't offer this (correct
me if I'm wrong).

BigLobe offers an extremely good spam killer /
web mail combo.  You can, for a very small
monthly fee, even view your spam mailbox
on the web (to confirm that the automatic
spam killer hasn't zapped something important).
You can set certain sender addresses and the
like to "always deliver" (they won't go thru'
the spam filter). BigLobe also offers very
good mailbox allowances.  You will always
get idiots who email 10MB photos or big videos,
and with some providers' pathetic "200MB mailbox
standard," important email is likely to be
bounced if you are away for a few days.

The Asahi-net web mail interface -- displaying
oldest email first -- is truly horrible.  And
I used to get frequent "web mail unavailable"
alerts.

Nifty does not seem to have thrown off its
original CompuServe/Niftyserve roots.

I'd better make up a provider comparison table.