Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board: USB Power Limits (Especially on Laptops)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 02:59:02 +0900, Zev <zev@example.com> wrote:

> Here is what I did :
>
> 1) Boot linux Ubuntu cd in live mode (11.04 UI is annoying will
> use something better next time)

When mucking about with drives, one wants to avoid automatically
using any thing on that drive for swap.

What does Ubuntu in live mode do?

Knoppix defaults to trying to use swap stuff on drives.
I studiously avoid that by using noswap option on the boot line.
My standard boot line for Knoppix is:

boot: knoppix no3d noswap

> Sep 17 14:42:14 ubuntu kernel: [  493.320215] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

That does not sound good.

> 2.2) I was unable to mount it or see the actual disk in any
> other tools like Disk Utility etc.

What does echo /sys/block/[hs]d* report before and after
connecting drive (either on native SATA port or through USB)?

Please report the output of smartctl -a for that drive.

> But, my guess is that this is not recoverable via a software
> solution.

Maybe so. The results of smartctl and echo will help answer
the hardware versus software problem.

> If it is not recoverable via software, should I try to but a
> new disk just like this one and swap the controller boards?

What does the drive _sound_ like?
Does it sound different that before the problem?
Does it make a clicking sound when starting?

_If_ software can not recover your drive or data (and that
antecedent has not been confirmed), then one has the _option_
of swapping controllers boards. Depending on the design,
that might not work, even between two good drives of same
make and model. There is also the possibility that using a
controller board from a good drive, on a bad drive, could
alter the controller board in some way that makes it unusable
on any drive.

But that's premature. First, let's figure out whether you
have a hardware problem, or incoveniently arranged data
problem. That you were not able to enumerate it as a USB
device is not a good sign. The results of echo and smartctl
will be interesting.