Re: [tlug] Bitsa Woes

CL writes:

 > > So the answer to your question is that there are too many unknowns to
 > > say that one PS will definitely be more quiet than another.
 >
 > That was helpful.  I am still looking for an answer on how I should
 > calculate average and high load but my Googling doesn't produce any
 > majority opinion.

High load is add up all the rated draws of the peripherals.  You don't
"calculate" average, you measure it.  Eg, turn off the computer.  Go
to your meter box, watch the disk spin until you know how fast it's
going.  Call your wife, tell her to turn on the computer, and watch
the disk spin until you know how fast it's going.  Subtract the former
from the latter and convert to watts. ;-)  More seriously, maybe there
is some sort of inductive way to measure the current going through the
power cord?

Regarding the torrenting issue, if you have lots of memory (>= 8GB)
and are not currently using the box to view movies and the like, AIU
the torrent algorithm, you will probably be asked for certain "torrent
pieces" repeatedly.  These will be cached in memory on the first
request, so perhaps spinning down the disk once you've received and
saved all pieces would work.  You could also be a bitch and turn off
the outgoing torrent traffic as soon as you've got what you want.
Normally I wouldn't recommend such a thing (unethical), but power
supply noise can affect a man's sanity. :-)