Re: [tlug] Bitsa Woes

On 09/14/2011 03:25 AM, Stephen Lee wrote:
CL<az.4tlug@example.com>  wrote:

I replied to this in the midst of the GOL hack attack and do not see a copy in my "Sent" folder. If this is a dupe of sorts, apologies to all affected.

I'd check whether the fans slow down after booting the OS.  Maybe fan
control is not working and they are always running at 100% which would
be noisy.

They are now. It took three reinstalls of the BIOS upgrade before it took control of all of the ancillary stuff.

I also found that switching to DVI from HDMI (the box is connected to our flat screen TV) made the video card fan run a bit quieter with a decline in video output quality, as well.

Try underclocking and reducing the voltage to the CPU, which should
reduce its power consumption and heat output.

I am a member of the "red screen, bad, blue screen, good" school of monkeying around with CPU settings and this produced more red boxes on screen than my personal bottle will hold, so we're still on "optimal settings" for the CMOS.

You can also set a spin down timer for your HDDs with hdparm so they
don't put out motor noise and heat when not used.

The USB drives all seem to have a feature of this type and I have looked at seeing how this can work on a torrenting box that can be accessed at random times.

In general power supplies are most efficient at ~50% load.  (You can go
to the 80 PLUS website<http://www.80plus.org>  and look at certified
PS's efficiency graphs yourself.)

Thanks. I am now looking for a frame of reference can fit these numbers into ...

So the answer to your question is that there are too many unknowns to
say that one PS will definitely be more quiet than another.

That was helpful. I am still looking for an answer on how I should calculate average and high load but my Googling doesn't produce any majority opinion. I "feel" as though I should be taking some percentage of max load. Dragging out and opening by Bosch Automotive Handbook, it looks as though watts are added together, right? ... So the real issue is deciding the average load ... somehow?

--
CL