Re: [tlug] XeLaTeX and Japanese (Was: Broken PDF printers and Closed fon spots)

Hi all,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> wrote:
> On 10/09/2011 09:20, Jim Breen wrote:
>> It's OK if you are doing document entirely in Japanese, but for a
>> paper, etc. that is mostly in English, it seems there is no alternative.
>
> My last thesis was mostly in English but with significant quotes in Japanese,
> and I used xelatex for it. It came out pretty well. (And is now available as
> http://www.wide-margin.co.uk/leadership-japanese-house-churches)
>
> I didn't try the xecjk package at the time, I marked up Japanese paragraphs
> and words explicitly, but I suspect that would be perfect for the job.

I don't write much Japanese in Latex and am a bit surprised there are
so many options.  It's been a pain whenever I had to do it and I
usually resorted to sending it to a Japanese co-worker to compile for
me.

Just recently, I got it working with the {CJKutf8} package.  I do need
to enclose each appearance of Japanese, but there are no problems
adding \begin{} and \end{} once at the beginning and end of the
document instead of each appearance.

Something like:

\usepackage{CJKutf8}
\begin{document}
\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{min}
\end{CJK}
\end{document}

I've only used it a few times so I don't know of its robustness.
Perhaps if it fails, I will look into the other options mentioned
here...  Thanks!

Ray