Re: [tlug] Broken PDF printers and Closed fon spots

Simon Cozens writes:
 > On 09/09/2011 15:49, Taisuke Yamada wrote
 > > At last year's TeX-users meetup, I came to learn that
 > > - Font-embedded PDF is the way to go. Goodbye with non-WYSISYG PDF!
 >
 > About five years ago I discovered the joy of Xe(La)Tex which solved all my
 > font problems and is wonderfully Unicode-happy as well. However, it is
 > apparently not very good at typesetting Japanese,

Oh?  I use it for all my Japanese stuff.  Nothing book-length, but I
can't say I'm at all dissatisfied.  The Japanese font situation sucks,
of course (except for the non-free stuff that comes with the Mac), but
it beats the hell out of trying to print Word-on-Windows files on the
Mac!  You do need to tell it that you're doing Japanese:

\usepackage{color}        % my standard preamble
\usepackage{graphicx}     % the first three are unrelated to Japanese
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}     % I'm not sure about these two
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "ja"    % voila!
\XeTeXlinebreakskip=0em plus 0.1em minus 0.01em
\XeTeXlinebreakpenalty=0

More specifics on the problems?