Re: [tlug] Broken PDF printers and Closed fon spots

Hi Francois,

On 08/09/11 01:37, Francois Cartegnie wrote:
About this first question of your's, do you mean that PDF files
generated within Linux were printed at 7-11 printers and you now look
at the printouts and found the text wrong?

New document printed to postscript&  converted to PDF using ps2pdf (because
they don't handle postcript). Nothing unusual.

Sorry, but I haven't encountered the font problems exactly like
your's, though...

Especially annoying because it can only be detected by close check.
( or if you only print binary :) )

I bet for an escape sequence triggered by the "0", but no more clue.

In this kind of situation, I would actually turn to Windows (or Mac, or even someone else's Linux system) to see if the problem is the printing or the file. I guess we're assuming it isn't a problem with the file?

Are these files generated using LaTeX? I sometimes bounce back and forth between dvips/ps2pdf, dvipdfmx, or pdflatex. Sometimes one works better than the other. I haven't had the patience to work out which is better in which situation, though...

I think if you have the original PDF documents, you can view its
properties to see if all fonts are available.  If these were generated
by LaTeX, then there is also a way to have the fonts embedded in the
document.

And what do you suggest as safe fonts for those systems ?

I don't have "safe fonts" to suggest in LaTeX; there's a list of fonts which are free which would probably be good choices. For a long time, I was using Helvetica, and then it was a while later before I realized it wasn't free (it's just the systems I used it on had it so I had no problems viewing it).

However, instructions from others [1, 2] do mention how to embed fonts into the PDF file. This prevents the viewer from substituting fonts, just in case its choice isn't very good. I presume you can't embed non-free fonts...not too sure about this.

Ray

[1]  http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/latex.html
[2] http://www.daniel-lemire.com/blog/archives/2005/08/29/getting-pdflatex-to-embed-all-fonts/