Re: [tlug] Broken PDF printers and Closed fon spots

Hi Francois,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Francois Cartegnie <fcartegnie@example.com> wrote:
> Just left Japan and few questions in mind:

I'm not sure if "congratulations" or "sorry to hear that" is
appropriate -- I guess that depends on the circumstances of your
departure.  :-)  Maybe "sorry to hear that" to be safe...  ;-)

> - When in Japan, I use to print through printing.ne.jp (the printers at
> 7eleven). But this time, I discovered that my prints were broken: Although
> displayed correctly, all zeroes & first graphics were removed.
> Has anyone experienced that kind of PDF misprocessing ? (I hardly see how this
> could be font-related)

About this first question of your's, do you mean that PDF files
generated within Linux were printed at 7-11 printers and you now look
at the printouts and found the text wrong?

For me, I occasionally print PDFs where certain pairs of letters are
squished together -- not overlapping, but close together.  These are
all English language documents, though.  I think on screen they also
look wrong; I can't remember.  However, if I went to the dark side and
printed it from Windows using Adobe Reader, everything is fine.  Not
sure if this is similar to your problem, but in my case, it is
definitely the fonts on my Linux system.  It usually happens with
older PDF documents (let's say 10+ years old).

Sorry, but I haven't encountered the font problems exactly like
your's, though...

I think if you have the original PDF documents, you can view its
properties to see if all fonts are available.  If these were generated
by LaTeX, then there is also a way to have the fonts embedded in the
document.

Ray