[tlug] How to detect unwelcome visitors on my macbook?

I have a MacBook running Snow Leopard. Yesterday, when I was taking a little break from work and leaning back to think I suddenly saw a movement on my screen. It looked like someone was testing my mouse, but it lay motionless on the table.

I immediately stopped the machine and called my local Mac guru, who unfortunatley was not in. Then I thought I could probably at least finish my current work if I switch off the WLAN. I booted and switched off the WLAN as soon as possible, but thunderbird managed to start without my help. Then everything was quiet.

How can I check what happened? And after I have fixed my security settings (which have been rather lax), how can I check that everything is fine?

I tried google, but somehow don't seem to find the right search words, I only find happy MacBook owners ...

Uli