Re: [tlug] How to proceed with RAID drive failure

Christian Horn writes:

 > For most hardware raids small, mostly open userland tools exist to do that.
 > Never understood why almost noone transports that information directly
 > via driver and informs linux on problems.

Almost noone understands kernel programming, that's why.  Also, it's
not obvious to me that making the kernel bigger is a good thing (not
because of size, but because it's one more way to fail in kernel
space).

The more interesting question to me is why hardware vendors think that
supplying crappy closed-source tools makes their products more
attractive, and who they think they're fooling by hiding the hardware
interface that way (I'm looking at you, EPSON and Canon!)