Re: [tlug] How to proceed with RAID drive failure

2011/7/12 Martin G <ebisumartin@example.com>:

> If I open up the computer to pull out the dead drive, how can I tell which
> of the physical units is the bad one?

Unplug one and try to boot. :)

> Can I just get a drive of similar specs, put that in, and have it be
> integrated into the RAID? I imagine this will involve some kind of
> formatting and set up of the new disk, but can it be done in such a way that
> I essentially keep the data from the good drive and have the new drive
> mirror it?

Ideally, you should get the same model. If that is not possible or a
PITA, at least get one that is the same size.

How it works in the RAID depends on your setup. What RAID level are
you running, and what type of RAID (i.e. software or hardware)?

In general, you should just be able to pop the drive in and add it to
your RAID in either your RAID BIOS or your software RAID's
configuration tool, then the RAID should slowly rebuild (best to let
this happen in single-user mode while you're not using the computer,
to avoid I/O contention).

Cheers,
Josh