Re: [tlug] How to proceed with RAID drive failure

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:12:39 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Second, boot using the Ubuntu CD.  Using the partition manager of your
> choice, check for bootable flags on the / (or /boot, if appropriate)
> partition of *both* disks.  If only one is set bootable, do the other.

Addendum: the usual linux installation do _not_ install the boot loader
onto both disks in a software RAID 1. This means if the first disk
dies, the second cannot be used to boot w/o fixing this issue first.

I dont know about ubuntu, but the debian boot disks support a "rescue mode"
where you can reinstall grub with a single key press.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin