Re: [tlug] SUSE wipeout! (Add /home partition in Ubuntu)

Ondrej Martinak writes:

 > Concerning the window manager you can always simply install the one you
 > like

"That's easy for you to say...."  The problem is that for anyone who
hasn't already done it, it's not that simple.  Modern desktop
environments have a lot of conveniences, but they depend on the whole
stack.  I remember watching with horror as my /usr bloated from 2GB to
4.5GB because I installed "klipper".  It basically pulled in *all* of
Qt and KDE, and there really didn't seem to be much fat that I could
cut out without mortally offending the pms.  But even with pkgconfig
it didn't seem worthwhile to try to build and install from scratch.

Sure, you can typically install any given window manager, and if
that's *all* you want, you're often OK.  But if you want it to work
with your biff utility and your CPU meter and docking your editor
windows and ... and so on, you are very often in for a world of pain.