[tlug] SOLVED - Re: iBus Setup Problem

On 06/21/2011 07:19 AM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM, CL<az.4tlug@example.com>  wrote:
I also added "Japanese" to "Preferred Languages" in Locale -->  Country
Region and Languages ... which I do not recall ever doing previously.

I now have two icons, but still no Japanese language input.

Back when I was running Suse several years ago I'd install it with
English as the main language and Japanese as a supported language, and
Japanese input worked great, with all the menus still in English.

Once I started using Ubuntu/Kunbuntu, there seemed to be many hoops of
fire to jump through and magic tricks to perform to get Japanese input
working correctly if the installation was done in English, so I gave
up on English menus and just did the installation in Japanese to begin
with.  You get stuck with Japanese menus for everything, but you also
get Japanese input working with everything without having to jump
through any hoops of fire.

やった!!! 日本語だ!

Well, victory of a sort. Like Saxon-san and SuSE, my previous experiences with the *buntus (Xubuntu and Kubuntu, in my case) + iBus had been extremely favorable with everything just dropping into place and automatically configuring. So, I had even less than the usual clues to go on when the autoconfig didn't do it's job.

What worked:

1. I first went to System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Autostart and deleted the ibusconfig settings I'd previously installed.

2. I then went to System Settings -> Locale -> System Languages and immediately received a message that language services were not completely set up. I permitted the system to update itself.

3. I clicked the "System Language" tab and selected "English (United States)" and selected iBus on the "Keyboard input method" button cleverly hidden in the lower right corner of the screen, then clicked "Apply."

After a reboot, iBus icons appeared on my Task Manager bar and I am able to input Japanese Anthy.

UPSIDES: I no longer have an issue with Japanese-only input in KTerminal. I'd previously had to kill iBus whenever I dropped to the command line.

DOWNSIDES: For some reason, I am no longer able to use the same command (Shft L + Alt) to both start iBus and switch languages. Although I have the four languages I read / speak all installed, only Japanese is active -- and has been the only activated "other" language for several iterations of *buntu. Not a *major* issue but I hate it when I have to think about stuff I could previously ignore.

--
CL