Re: [tlug] MeeGo? Netvertibles?

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 07:45:42PM -0600, David J Iannucci wrote:

> What I *am* attracted to is the Lenovo s10-3t, a so-called "netvertible"
> (convertible tablet netbook).

Netbook sized tablet with Atom cpu.  You like it because of the touch
screen?  The Atom cpu would be a distractor to me, needs more power
than comparable ARM and does not add other values when running Linux.

> One thing I've discovered in this process is a Linux distro(?) called
> MeeGo which seems to be the Linux world's answer to a tablet OS. Looks
> interesting. Anyone know where it stands and have any thoughts on
> whether I should hang any hopes on it?

Nokia sells the N900 smartphone in Europe, running Maemo.  MeeGo was
planned as successor, to run on ARM and intel.  Nokia now made a big
contract with Microsoft, leaving the future of MeeGo for smartphones
unclear.  Yet I hear some others jumped onto the MeeGo train, looking
at it for in car electronics and so on.
For tablet/touchscreen usage probably Android is much more interesting,
wider userbase, more applications and the OS is better developed.

> Are there any interesting products available (perhaps solely) in Japan
> now that might answer to my needs?

You did not say much about your needs, the lenovo is maybe interesting
if one needs x86 compatibility.

Christian