Re: [tlug] SUSE wipeout! (Add /home partition in Ubuntu)

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 06:29:24PM +0200, Josh Glover wrote:
> 2011/6/19 Raedwolf Summoner <rarooam@example.com>:
>
> > MS (the Shuttleworth one) has decreed that Gnome will no longer
> > be provided as an option in the next release.
>
> That's unfortunate. Unity has some nice features, and honestly allows
> you to do more without the mouse, or more quickly, than does "classic"
> GNOME. But I just can't sacrifice 25% of a core to the
> beast--especially on my single-core netbook with the almost
> unsupported Intel video. :(
>
> I should have already gone back to Openbox, but since I switched to
> Ubuntu because I'm lazy, I didn't want to expend the effort.

Have you played with #!Crunchbang at all?  Pretty much Ubuntu with an
OpenBox desktop.

There's also Lubuntu--the LXDE desktop is based on Openbox, though one
can change it to fluxbox if desired.

> Is Unity GNOME underneath, or is it Yet Another Linux Desktop That
> Will Finally Lure Those Windows And Mac Users Over (YALDTWFLTWAMUO,
> pronounced "yald-twiffle-twa-mow")?

What's interesting on the Fedora forums is that newcomers seem to very
much like Gnome 3, whereas Gnome 2 users generally say little more than
with extensions, they can live with it.  Judging from screenshots of OS
X Lion and Windows 8, the whole world seems to be going towards the
smartphone user.

Not sure how much of that is simply my own grouchiness though.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6