[tlug] SUSE wipeout! (Add /home partition in Ubuntu)

OK, I tried Nasty Narwhal. No way. I will not use
a Unity desktop. Now I guess when snarky Marky
wipes Gnome off Ubuntu in the next update, we'll
not only have Koobuntu, we'll have to have
Goobuntu as well. I'm expecting a mass exodus:
think New Coke vs. Classic Coke.

Anyway, I thought I'd see how the competition was
doing, so I replaced U 11.04 (which I had no intention
of keeping on my computer) with openSUSE 11.4. I
had used SUSE for 2~3 yrs before moving to Ubuntu
back about Ubuntu 8. Shoulda paid attention to the
reviewer who said SUSE 11.4 is definitely not ready
for prime time. What a mess! Had to reset "enable
desktop effects" every time I logged in, the setting
wouldn't keep, and without the setting none of the
apps had borders, so I couldn't move them, resize
them or even close them without a menu, and the
things that didn't have a menu I had to force quit.

Couldn't get anything to work, spent two days trying
to get a driver for my nVidia card and finally gave up.
It wiped out everything on my disk, too. Decided I'd
have to move back to Ubuntu and wait for Goobuntu
to come along. Anyway, I reinstalled the LTS 10.04
version and everything is mostly back up to snuff
now. Had all my data backed up anyway.

I neglected to create a separate /home partition as I
have always done before and don't really want to
reinstall to do it. (I had one until openSUSE wiped out
all my data and partitioning setup.) I have an empty
partition on sda7 that I'd like to mount as /home. I
really thought I had done this during the install, but
it isn't mounted.

I've been looking on the net and am very confused
about what I can and can't do here. How do I make
it become my /home partition instead of the /home in
the root partition? I can mount it with no problem,
but what I really want to do is make it recognized as
/home. Is that simple or something that if I screw up
the line in /etc/fstab will it keep me from being
able to log in? Would it be simpler to reinstall?

Thanks,
Ralph