Re: [tlug] SSH Tunneling basics

Jeesh, thanks, Stephen, for taking the time to explain the matter in such detail. Along with the other responses, I believe I get the picture fairly well.

There have been cases in the past when I *have* been able to do FTP and SSH from hotels, but not the last couple of times. The biggest problem was that the people on the help line were trained about as far as "connecting to the web with Internet Explorer", and were clueless as to why I couldn't get through via SSH, etc. In one case, I don't think the lady knew what SSH was.

The conference I'll be attending is Digital Humanities 2011 (https://dh2011.stanford.edu/) which means that in my hotel I'm going to surrounded by people possessed of infinitely greater computer skills than I, so I suspect that if I have this problem again, I should be able to find the help I need to resolve it.

Once again, much appreciated.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net